Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
February 13, 2014
Top 10 Rivals Camp Series registrants to watch
The Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour returns for its second spring and summer of competition with 18 stops along the way. While registration has just recently opened, there are already numerous 2015, 2016 and 2017 top prospects already signing up for the free, elite camps. Here is a look at the 10 highest-rated 2015 prospects as of Wednesday, Feb. 12.
TOP 2014 RCS REGISTRANTS
1. DE Byron Cowart, Seffner (Fla.) ArmwoodCowart showed off his ability to dominate and play against older and bigger competition in the Rivals Camp Series held in Orlando last spring. His combination of size and quickness was too much for the offensive linemen as he took home the Defensive Line MVP Award. Florida has been in the lead for some time for Cowart with Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson and others very much in the mix.
2. DT Daron Payne, Birmingham (Ala.) Shades ValleyPayne is one of the few class of 2015 prospects that is new to the Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour. But if his performance at the Under Armour Combine is any indication, two things are certain. First, he will be too physical for most to handle. Second? He will likely leave with his jersey torn as he did in St. Petersburg after so many attempts to hold him. Alabama has been considered his leader since the summer but Auburn, Clemson, Ole Miss and South Carolina are pushing hard. Auburn is recruiting the hardest.
3. DB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter's PrepFitzpatrick's performance at the Rivals Camp Series in Newark was enough to earn him a trip to Chicago for the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge, and he didn't disappoint on the big stage. He showed off his impressive coverage skills and how smooth he is against some of the best wide receivers in the 2014 class. Fitzpatrick has taken many visits, including asecond trip to Alabama recently, but hasn't narrowed anything down in his recruitment. Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Miami, South Carolina, Michigan, Rutgers, Georgia, Florida and Florida State are a few schools that stand out right now and he has planned visits upcoming to see the Bulldogs, Gators, Hurricanes and possibly the Seminoles this month.
4. WR Christian Kirk, Scottsdale (Ariz.) SaguaroKirk emerged as one of the top receivers in the country at the Rivals Camp Series in Phoenix and backed it up at the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge in Chicago at Soldier Field. He is flat out impossible to cover in space with his quickness and he uses his size to his advantage, unlike many smaller receivers. Kirk is keeping his options open when it comes to recruiting and no one seems to be the favorite, although Texas A&M fans will beg to differ because of his friendship with five-star quarterback signee Kyle Allen.
5. OL Tyler Carr, Southside, Ala.Carr emerged later than most on this list, as he attended the Rivals Camp Series in Hoover but didn't stand out that much. However, at the Rivals250 Underclassmen Challenge, he was dominant and started to show elite talent at offensive tackle after playing mostly on defense his first couple years of high school. Carr appears torn between Alabama and Auburn and this is expected to be an in-state battle despite offers from Georgia, Penn State, Vanderbilt and many others expected.
6. ATH Terry Godwin, Hogansville (Ga.) CallawayGodwin attended the Rivals Camp Series in Atlanta, arguably the most star-studded event on the tour, and showed off impressive ball skills and feet on offense. He could easily be a wide receiver or a cornerback at the next level and will certainly be a special teams star. This year is his to dominate and show off to the Georgia Bulldogs staff and fans. He committed to Georgia in January.
7. DB Kendall Sheffield, Missouri City (Texas) Fort Bend MarshallSheffield jumped right into the fire at the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge and showed off his length and physical skills. He is very sudden exploding out of his backpedal in any direction and he closes extremely well. Sheffield is a very quiet recruit, so don't expect to hear about any leaders, but Texas A&M might have the early edge with an excellent recent visit. However, he appears to be in no hurry to decide and wants to check out Oklahoma, Oregon, Ohio State and others.
8. DT Daylon Mack, Gladewater, TexasMack was tough to handle at our Rivals Camp Series in Dallas last spring as a sophomore, earning Defensive Line MVP honors, and was impressive enough to earn an invite to the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge at Soldier Field in Chicago. While he was a little over his head at the latter event against some of the top 2014 talent in the country, he still emerged as one of the top defensive tackles in a very strong year at the position. And this is his year to dominate and give Texas A&M fans a taste of what is to come. Mack committed to the Aggies early in the process.
9. WR Tyron Johnson, New Orleans Warren Easton SeniorJohnson showed out at the Rivals250 Underclassmen Challenge in Dallas this past summer and became one of the top wide receivers to watch in the nation. His combination of size and leaping ability allows him to go up and get the ball over defenders and he's very good gaining separation, especially between the hashes. While in-state power LSU has to be considered a tough team to beat, Texas A&M did it for Speedy Noil and could very well pull Johnson out of state as well. Tennessee, UCLA, Texas, Texas Tech and others are also in the early mix.
10. ATH Osa Masina, Salt Lake City (Utah) BrightonMasina showed us much of his potential on offense at the Rivals Camp Series in Los Angeles last spring. At an event loaded with defensive talent, Masina stood out even as a sophomore and showed that he would be tough to handle as he matures. Masina has strong ties to Utah with one brother on scholarship there and another as a walk-on. USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oklahoma and others will get visits this offseason.
The Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour is an elite camp. Prospects with FBS offers who are interested in attending should email us at [email protected] or Mike Farrell at [email protected]
Mike Farrell is the National Recruiting Director for Rivals.com. You can click here to follow him on Twitter.